We’ve got news for you Foodies: The movement control order (MCO), initially scheduled to end March 31, has now been extended to April 14. This means: we are going to binge watch more food shows and do more home-cooking! Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced the two-week extension during a special address this afternoon, adding that the decision was finalized as the current trend continues to show new positive cases of COVID-19 still increasing.
“Food is Enough for Everybody”
“Please stay calm and don’t panic. Even though we have extended the movement control order, you don’t have to unnecessarily stock up on food because the supply is sufficient,” said Muhyiddin. The Prime Minister added that the announcement to extend the MCO was made ahead to avoid public panic, urging people to stay home and not make any unnecessary travel.
MCO Imposed to Slow COVID-19 Spread
The Malaysian government had earlier imposed the MCO for two weeks from March 18 until March 31 to control the spread of COVID-19. “I know it is not easy to stay at home for a long time, I am sure there are many challenges, but the reality is that we have not faced something like this before and we would like to contain it as soon as possible,” he said.
Despite the announcement for all to stay home, some Malaysians still continue to gather and socialize. The government has announced that offenders could be fined up to RM1,000 or jailed up to six months, or both. All business premises are closed except for those providing essential services like banks, supermarkets, and grocery shops. For Malaysia COVID-19 outbreak live updates, refer to outbreak.my for reliable reports.
Also read: KK Marts Replenish Masks
We would like to invite you to join our New Private Community Group! Here you are free to ask questions, share your love for food, and explore the Klang Valley community! We will also regularly post about casual promos and latest findings.
Click on the button below and hunt good food with us today!